Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Release Party for Ilona Andrews at Bitten By Books

Welcome to the Bitten by Books Release party for ON THE EDGE. I just received the author copies and it’s a real book. I guess I don’t think it’s real until I can hold the finished copy.

::pets book::: Iz my preciouss. Shiiiiiny.

There is a funny story attached to the creation of this book. I’d written the opening a long time ago almost two years, but I never did anything with it. So, I’d just finished Kate 3 and it left me emotionally drained. (Kate books are tough to write. Everything has to be just so.) I didn’t want to start another Kate manuscript right away, so I started playing around with the opening and I thought, “Hmm… I wonder if there is enough of this to make it into a novella… I could release it as a freebie on the blog.”

So I’d written it out and ran it by Jeaniene Frost. A few minutes later a message from BFF Jeaniene popped into my mail box. I opened it. The first sentence read, “I’m going to kill you…”

Apparently Jeaniene had formed a rather strong opinion that this manuscript should be a novel and she wasn’t subtle about expressing it. I honestly thought she was deeply mistaken and there was no way to make a novel out of it, but I had nothing to lose at that point, so I sat down and chugged forward. A two books contract, a Publisher’s Weekly Starred Review and 4 1/2 Romantic Times Top Pick later, I’m willing to say it.
Ahem.

http://bittenbybooks.com/?p=11236#comment-89382

Dear Jeaniene,

You were right.
So with that startling admission in mind (I don’t admit being wrong that often), let’s party and I hope you’ll enjoy reading the book as much as I enjoyed writing it.

0 comments: