Thursday, May 14, 2009

Lynn Crain Interview May 15th

I have the pleasure of hosting Lynn Crain today. I was able to interview her and her answers are posted below. I loved some of her answers. Lol

Leave a comment or ask Lynn a question. Don’t be shy. We don’t bite here, well, not too hard. Grab a coffee or a soda and come and spend the day with us.


Subtle Invasion
Author
: Lynn Crain
EBook Publisher: eXtasy eBooks/Devine Destinies
Published: Devine Destinies, 2009
ISBN: 978-1-55487-093-6 eBook Category: Science Fiction

When Melinda begins to have strange visions, her husband Frank fears the worst and takes her to the local hospital. Once there, Melinda realizes her visions are real. Can she prepare earth for what is to come?


1. Did you always know that you wanted to be an author or did you have another dream?

I’ve always wanted to be a writer when I first had a poem published at age twelve. But I came from a family where you take a career that can support you first then you can work on getting that dream job.

2. How long did you write until you were finally published?

Between the time I had my first poem published and my first non-fiction article was about 25 years. I continued to have the occasional non-fiction piece published but wasn’t published in fiction until late 2005. Since then I’ve had 14 pieces published and am contracted for another 16 more. So in total, it took me 36 years to be published in fiction.

3. When you sit down to write, is there a ritual you have to do before you start?

Not really. I do make sure I have plenty of water before I open my current WIP. I also read the last thing I’ve done and check my progress excel file. BUT I’m not consistent in doing those things at all. Sometimes, I just sit down and start.

4. Do you plan the story out or just let it flow?

Depends upon the story. The majority of the time, I’m a pantser. HOWEVER, it the story is huge, like my upcoming Protectors series, I will sit down and have a basic plan for each story because I have to know the world intimately before I actually write one word. In that series, I planned the characters, the setting and how each story would entwine itself with the others before I wrote one word. With my Orchid series, I knew where I wanted to start and where it needed to end and other than the title and the characters, I knew nothing else.

5. Now to your wonderful books *BG*. Do you have a current list of releases and where they can be found?

There are a lot, so be prepared…LOL!



eXtasy Books/Devine Destinies
Violet Visions
http://tinyurl.com/VioletVisions (print)
http://tinyurl.com/Violet-Visions-ebook

Atlantis Allure
http://tinyurl.com/AtlantisAllure (print)
http://tinyurl.com/Atlantis-Allure-ebook

Sanguinary Seductions
http://tinyurl.com/SanguinarySeductions (print)
http://tinyurl.com/Sanguinary-Seductions-ebook

Santa’s Elves Series
http://tinyurl.com/Santa-sElves (print - 1st Three books)
The View From Santa’s Sleigh
http://tinyurl.com/TheViewFromSantasSleigh (ebook)
The Thing About Elves
http://tinyurl.com/TheThingAboutElves (ebook)
An Elf’s Desire
http://tinyurl.com/SantasElvesBook3-AnElfsDesire (ebook)
A Love For Eggther
http://tinyurl.com/ALoveForEggther (ebook)
An Elf’s Magic
http://tinyurl.com/AnElfsMagic (ebook)

Shopping Spree
http://tinyurl.com/LynnCrains-ShoppingSpree (ebook)

Captive Illusions
Iain and Kelsey
http://tinyurl.com/CaptiveIllusions-IainandKelsey (ebook)

Fluke
http://tinyurl.com/LynnCrains-Fluke (ebook)

Subtle Invasion
http://tinyurl.com/SubtleInvasion (ebook)


Whiskey Creek Press
Blue Moon Magic Series – Book 4 – Night of the Blue Moon
http://tinyurl.com/Night-of-the-Blue-Moon-ebook

6. Do you have any WIP that you might want to share with us?

Absolutely!
There are two I would love to share with you. The first is the second book in my Orchid series which started with Fluke titled More Than Robotics. It’s about a space ship captain who has some tough choices to make to ensure the safety of her crew, her ship and her world. She’s helped along by a man sent to protect her from the enemy. It’s fast paced and has some new and different things in it.

The second is my first book in my Protectors series, Of Earth and Fire. These stories are contemporary and set in Nevada. All the main characters have special paranormal abilities given to them by a technologic reason. It’s a total cross between paranormal and science fiction. Again, it is fast paced where the heroines are kick-ass women destined to set the world straight.

7. What character is more like your personality or is it a combination of more than one?

All my characters are a combination of a lot of different things. I will say that there is a bit of me in each on of them. A lot of times I can’t see if until the story is done but once its complete, I’ll go back and read it only to find that the heroine has done something in the exact same manner I would have done.

8. Did you decide to write in the paranormal genre or did it choose you?

The one thing I have always done is to write a story I love. I have always told people I write the weird stuff because when I first started writing these stories there was no market for them. I’ve always loved things that were odd and different because I’ve always wanted to be able to explain those phenomena.

While I mainly write paranormal, science fiction or fantasy romance and cross genre pieces, I have my fair share of regular contemporary pieces as well. But I do see myself throwing in more and more of a paranormal slant to things.

Again, I really do think it’s all about the story. As a writer, you’ve got to write the story you love first.

9. When you have a moment to sit down and breathe, what kinds of books do you read?

I read everything I can get my hands on. I love science fiction and fantasy, I love futuristics, I love manga. It’s hard to say what I’ll read next.

10. What author or authors inspire you to write the way you do?

Right now I’m reading Katherine Allred and Linnea Sinclair latest.

11. Do you have any tips for those aspiring authors out there?

The best tips I have are never give up and perseverance because you need those in today’s publishing scene. You have to be flexible and prepared for anything. The only other advice I’d give is to make sure that you have a thick skin. There is no other business, other than acting, where you will be rejected continuously and still be expected to perform admirably. Take it as it comes, grieve at the rejection and then move on…quickly…LOL!

12. Now for the most important question of the day, what color does a Smurf change when you choke it?

Purple…red and blue make purple…LOL!

25 comments:

Nicole H. said...

Lol! I have to admit that I have not read any of your books, BUT they do sound extremely interesting! Now my TBR pile has increased! Ugh, so going to be in trouble with hubby... Oh well, a good read is ALWAYS worth it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn and Katie,

I really enjyed finding out more about youand your books. Your upcoming series sounds fabulous and looking forward to it. I haven't read your books yet but now added them to my TBR list. ;)

Dawn
PRP Manager

Raine Delight said...

Hi Lynn and Katie {waves}

I loved the interview Lynn and Katie. Very interested in your books and added them to my reading list. Thanks for sharing.

Raine D.

Carmel said...

Great interview Lynn and Katie!

I haven't read any of your books yet either Lynn, but alas I now feel a great urge to. :)

Katie Bug said...

Hi Nicole! That iso true about books. I would throw my hubby to the curb for a good book. :)

Katie Bug said...

Thank you for coming Dawn. Those books do look good, huh? I don't have a TBR pile. I have a room. lol

Katie Bug said...

Hey sweetie! *waves back* Thank you for stopping by. :)

Katie Bug said...

Hi Carmel. I feel that urge too. Sounds kind of dirty, don't it? LOL
;)

Jackie Ballway said...

You have an AMAZING backlist of books! Now I know what I'm going to do this afternoon. : )

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading author interviews and learning more about the 'why' behind the 'who'. And now, I've got new books to explore! A win-win all around. Thanks

Storm

Carmel said...

But it's fun to be dirty on occassion :D.

Alitheia said...

Wow, what great back list! :D If you don't mind me asking, what did you do between writing your first published poem and becoming a published author later? Does/did your job add anything to your writing or are they completely seperate endeavors?

Great interview Katie, my book budget might be suffering because of it, but meeting new authors is always fun :D

Eva said...

Wow. What a good interview. I have to admit too that I haven't read any of your work Lynn but it sounds really fascinating and I will definitely have to add you to my list.

Rachel said...

Great interview!

Do you write full time or do you work a full time job in addition to writing. How do you keep a balance in your life and keep all the commitments that one has through everyday life?

I don't know how authors do it all! It is like a super power. :)

Thanks for being here today!

Rachel

Lynn Crain said...

Thanks, Nicole!

And I understand myself. I've been on a reading kick too! LOL!

Lynn

Lynn Crain said...

Thanks, Dawn!

I can't until the new books are out...it's really an exciting time for me to be a writer right now...and fun! LOL!

Lynn

Lynn Crain said...

Thanks, Raine!

Lynn

Lynn Crain said...

Wonderful, Carmel! I love having new readers find me!

Lynn

Lynn Crain said...

Katie,

Isn't that the truth?

Any more when I go to the bookstore I better have at least one thing he'll enjoy...thank goodness we both love science fiction and fantasy!

Lynn

Lynn Crain said...

Thanks, Jackie!

Sometimes I looked at it myself and can't believe just how big it is! Thank goodness, I'll be adding some new books this year!

Lynn

Lynn Crain said...

Thanks, Storm!

I'm glad I had something that grabbed your attention!

Lynn

Lynn Crain said...

Alitheia,

I took the long way to being published. LOL!

I wrote all through my high school years but my parents convinced me that writing was a profession. At that time, I went into nursing school but a few classes away from graduating I realized it wasn't for me and finished a degree in geology.

But I never did any geology at all. I ended up either being a technical writer or a computer manager at the jobs I had. But I didn't like working for other companies so I started a printing company which ended up wiped out by 911 because we worked for Wall Street at the time.

After that, I went back to work for a while to pay off debts and things from the business. Once all that was taken care of, I turned my life back to school and writing.

Currently, I do reflexology and am studying natural medicine with the hope of getting a Ph.D. We'll see...LOL!

Since I really put my heart into it, and getting the absolute support of my husband, family and friends, I've had 14 stories and books published with another 16 contracted.

It's the thing I've always wanted to do and now that my children are grown, it's my time. I'm hoping to get an agent and maybe an NYC contract late this year or early next.

And I'm having the time of my life! Thanks for asking!

Lynn

Lynn Crain said...

Thanks, Eva!

Glad to have something you'll like!

Lynn

Lynn Crain said...

Rachel,

Right now I am lucky enough to do writing almost full time as I work for myself. It's morphed more and more to where writing is the only thing. And that's all right for me!

Since my kids are grown, there's not much of a balancing act I have to do any more. Now, 5 years ago when the youngest was preteen, it was a little more difficult but I learned early on to schedule everything.

And some days it all worked out great! LOL! The basic lesson is to be flexible and set up a certain amount of work you want to complete every day. Some days you'll do more, some days less but as long as you have what you need at the end of the week, it works out fine.

And I never stress about things. I write fast and know I can complete anything I need to but life is important and sometimes is the louder of the two.

I have always found that things balance out exactly like they are supposed to do.

Lynn

Lynn Crain said...

Thanks, Katie, for having me on your blog! I had a great time!

Hope to see all you new readers at my blog or yahoogroup!

Lynn