Thursday, May 7, 2009

Come join the fun with author, Bryl R. Tyne!


Let us give a big welcome to Bryl R Tyne for stopping by today and chatting with us. My interview with Bryl is below.

Go ahead and ask a question or add a comment. One lucky poster will win an EBook copy of “Best Unspoken”. I wrote a review for it and you can read it here. Review of Best Unspoken If you havn't read it or "If I Were a Lady..." yet, you have no idea what you are missing.

So, grab a seat and a cup of coffee and join us. I have a feeling it is going to be fun today with Bryl here. ;)


1. Did you always know that you wanted to be an author or did you have another dream?
I wrote poetry and short stories like crazy when I was younger, but I was too busy ducking bullies to dream (sucked being one of the smart ones). Of course, my mouth probably didn't help matters (Seldom do I just lie down and "take it"). I remember a high school guidance councilor asking what my plans were once I graduated. I was a junior at the time. It was a very awkward moment, lots of silence, with him glaring at me as if he expected a certain answer. Finally, I blurted out the only thought running through my mind..."Am I supposed to know the answer to that?"

I've floated along in life, letting circumstances take me where they may. When I did write, I was often praised. I could just never seem to shake adversity long enough to settle down and get serious until recently.

2. How long did you write until you were finally published?
Nine months.


3. When you sit down to write, is there a ritual you have to do before you start?
32 oz. coffee mug full—check; 16 oz. Crystal Lite energy drink—check; iPod fully charged—check; oversized pillow between me and rocking chair back...That's if the weather doesn't permit me to venture outdoors with extension cord and lawn chair.

4. Now to your wonderful books *BG*. Do you have a current list of releases and where they can be found?
If I Were a Lady... is available from Noble Romance Publishing, as is my Naughty Nibble, Best Unspoken (NOT work-safe). My story, Exposed, will appear in the NERDVANA Anthology from STARbooks Press this Fall, and my story, VAMMP: Conquering Dissension, is contracted to be included in a Gay vampire anthology from Ravenous Romance later this year, but I don't have the details yet.


5. Do you have any WIP that you might want to share with us?
In between passing my other projects back and forth, I'm working on a sci-fi gay erotic romance. My boss of all people gave me the idea when he introduced me to The Dresden Dolls' song, Coin Operated Boy; which, by the way, is the tentative title of my book. I was on my way out of the office when he stopped me and asked if I'd ever heard the group. After two stanzas, I had the story in my head. I've also got a Naughty Nibble lined up for Val and Kendra...have to get it down and turn it in soon.

6. What character is more like your personality or is it a combination?
That's a tough one. Overall, I'm most like my main character, Jesse, in my JT Wolfe, PI Series—though you won't meet him until his series finds a home. I do see bits and pieces of me in many of my other characters too. For instance, in If I Were a Lady..., I can see my provocative spirit in Val's dad, and yet there was a time in my life that I carried similar insecurities to Kendra.

7. Do you have anything new in the works? Inquiring minds want to know.
I've been asked to co-author a couple of projects. MS Panthera and I are working on a paranormal novel. It's getting interesting. One of our heroes has discovered he's a transgender. Don't know where he got that idea...o_0 Also, Author Reese Johnson and I have begun a horror series that features gay detective, Arlo Skaggs. All books co-authored by Reese Johnson and I will be published under the pen name, R. B. Bronsin.

8. When you have a moment to sit down and breathe, what kinds of books do you read?
I like mysteries best, erotic romances also. Recently, I'm on this kick with horror novels, go figure, the gorier the better.

9. What author or authors inspire you to write the way you do?
Everyone and no one. When I first picked up writing again, last April, I opened a spiral notebook. Five notebooks and three weeks later, I had a 75+ thousand word novel. It never occurred to me there were others out there already writing stories with characters like mine. Since then I've read close to a couple hundred books in a variety of genres. Just to know that other authors write their hearts out because they feel driven inspires me to keep going, not lock it down inside again. Until last year, I kept my ideas to myself.

10. Do you have any tips for those aspiring authors out there?
If you feel you must write then write and keep writing.

11. Now for the most important question of the day, what color does a Smurf change when you choke it?
Guess it all depends on which neck I have a hold on. I mean a death grip on his throat and he's bound to turn black before I'm through with him. But if I'm looking for a nice shade of violet, a firm grip on his—Hey! Give me that back—

What the hell? I was just getting to the good part...


28 comments:

Charles Lambert said...

Nine months? Just the right length of time...

Bryl R. Tyne said...

*blinks...then blinks some more* Still not quite sure what prompted your abrupt halt to the interview, but that's fine. I enjoyed myself. I always do. I am sorry if I was any trouble, dear.

You are a very patient hostess. Thank you, Katie.

Bryl

Bryl R. Tyne said...

Yes, Charles. Nine months gestation and it's been "Katie, bar the door" ever since (no pun intended toward my lovely, hostess). But yeah, strange coincidence really.

Thanks for stopping by!

Ali Katz said...

When I first picked up writing again, last April, I opened a spiral notebook. Five notebooks and three weeks later, I had a 75+ thousand word novel.Mouth agape. Longhand??

Sweetie, keep it up. You're on a roll.

Katie Bug said...

You are wonderful Bryl! No problem what so ever. :)

Bryl R. Tyne said...

Yes, longhand, Ali. Hardest part was translating my own handwriting as I spent another two weeks typing it into Word...

Learning as I go. :-)

Mykola Dementiuk said...

Man, your interview are getting better and better. Keep up the good work, kiddo ;)))

Bryl R. Tyne said...

Thanks Katie ;-)

and, Thank you for stopping by, Mick!

Maurya said...

Hey, I want to know more about the smurf choking!!! Very unfair to leave us...uh, hanging*g*

Great interview tho!

Bryl R. Tyne said...

And Maurya, I wanted to tell you all the details about that beautiful purple--

OH for the love of...Now she's interrupting my comments too. KATIE!


Guess it's her blog **walks away grumbling** Sidebar. I'll be back.

Jude Mason said...

Bryl,

That last question, did you get to finish your answer here or do we have to go searching for it?

ROFLMAO!

Great interview.

Hugs

Bryl R. Tyne said...

Sorry to disappoint, Jude. But if I want to come back, I had to promise to be good...

Guess I should provide interviewers
with a disclaimer before they interview me, lol.

Katie Bug said...

LOL I promised Bo that I would keep you in line today.

Has anyone read either If I Were a Lady? Do you have comments? Come on down, your the next contestant...oops!

april said...

hehehe... mostly popped on because Google reader gave me a teaser so I thought I'd read the whole thing. I'll admit to not reading any of the books so I apologize if I did not do my homework before today. Unfortunately, between the disclaimer to get on the blog and the subject matter, probably won't be able to read up more until I get home (Big Brother's so mean, no fun for the working stiff).

Thanks, Katie and Bryl for giving a bit of levity into a grey work day.

Bryl R. Tyne said...

...the next molested?? huh? -- Oh! contestant...sorry, bout that.

Just for you, Katie:

***Newsflash***

Val and Kendra will be caught behind the scenes (so to speak) later this year!

Katie Bug said...

You bad Bryl! lol

Hi April! Long time no see. Check back in with us when you get home.

Katie Bug said...

Okie dokie my peeps. Here comes the fun part of our tour. It is contest time!

Since we all want to know what happened to the poor smurf, the best story will win a copy of "Best Unspoken". This story is smokin hot!

Winner will be chosen and posted here tomorrow by Bryl.

Bryl R. Tyne said...

Thanks for dropping by, April. I'm happy to brighten your otherwise mundane Thursday. ;)

Bryl

AllureVanSanz said...

Fabulous interview. We expect nothing less from Madame Bryl. I wrote a play and two books long hand when I was younger. I couldn't imagine doing it now. I can barely type for an hour before I'm forced to do wrist exercises. LOL

Thanks for sharing, Bryl.

Best,
Allure

Bryl R. Tyne said...

Allure...did I ever tell you how I love your name? Wrist exercises -- Here, let me help you with those ;)

Fabulous? Why, thank you, Allure! I thought that was simply my opinion.

Raine Delight said...

Hi Bryl and Katie,

Oh man what a wonderful interview Katie. I mean you really get to the heart of who Bryl is *psst....is still onher meds or should I be running now?*

Raine Delight
A little bit sweet....a whole lot naughty.

Bryl R. Tyne said...

m e d s...meds--Meds! Oh! Thanks, Raine. Aren't you a doll for reminding me. So busy today, I'd forgotten all about those.

You know that red streak on my neck you might've heard tell of?

They lied. It ain't no streak.

Laymen term: run--Very fast!

;-)
Bryl

Lex Valentine said...

Great interview, Bryl! Good to see you getting that work pubbed and out to the fans!

macbeaner said...

What a fantastic interview! :)

Bryl R. Tyne said...

Thank you, Lex! Gotta do what I gotta do. Part of going with an eBook publisher, but hey. All this promoting and meeting new people is great fun! ;-)

Bryl R. Tyne said...

Thanks, macbeaner, and thanks for dropping by 8)

Katie Bug said...

Who is our winner Bryl!?

Bryl R. Tyne said...

Decisions, decisions...Charles Lambert, how would you like a copy of my Naughty Nibble, Best Unspoken?Thank you all for dropping by and leaving your comments. I appreciate hearing from you.

:)
Bryl

Bryl R. Tyne
an author defying description
bryltyne.com