Wednesday, October 15, 2008

November is Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month





After losing my grandma to Pancreatic cancer in 2007, I have tried to learn as much as I can about this type of cancer. This is what I found.

Pancreatic cancer is the 4th leading cause of cancer death in the United States. In 2008, an estimated 37,680 Americans will be diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and 34,290 will die from the disease. Men are 20% more likely to get pancreatic cancer than women and the majority of cases occur in people over the age of 65. The incidence rate among African-Americans is 40 to 50% higher than other ethnic groups. Pancreatic cancer research constitutes less than 2% of the National Cancer Institute’s federal research funding—a figure far too low given the severity of the disease.From a scientific research perspective, pancreatic cancer is where breast cancer was in the 1930s. Advancing pancreatic cancer research into the 21st century is dependent upon the increase of basic scientific research.

Last year I decided to to a BIG Ebay book sale. I told my friends and neighbors and they all either donated money or books. I donated 100% of the proceeds to The Pancreatic Cancer Network, Inc. (PanCAN) a non-profit organization that was the first national patient-based advocacy organization to focus on pancreatic cancer. We nearly raised $200 last year and I want to either match that or pass it.

For more information on Pancreatic Cancer or the PanCan web site click on http://www.pancan.org/index.html

Remember to wear your purple in November!

0 comments: