Monday, May 19, 2008

Ebooks vs books




I hate change! I have been trying very hard not to look at the new eBooks. I like my books made out of paper. I like to turn the pages. I like to smell the paper and that is why I love going to a book store. You can’t do that with an eBook.

After fighting it for what seems like years, I caved in and tried it. I had so many people telling me how great it was. I thought I will try this and tell everyone that I hated it just like I knew I would.

Now a month later I belong to one of those eBooks sites. Okay, I belong to 4! I have bought a few books and also some free short novels. Yup you read that correctly. I am now addicted to not only paper books but also eBooks. Just shoot me now.

Some of the benefits are that it easier to keep your place in the book. You just press a button and when you come back later you start where you left off. You can also buy your book on line and never have to leave and drive to the book store. You press a button and you got a book. They take up less space. The best part of eBooks is that you can hide them better from your husband. He will never know how bad my addiction is now! *evil laugh*

The negatives of an eBook are pretty small. They don’t smell like my books that I usually get. I only have a lap top so I have to sit it on a pillow over my lap so I can read it. That is about it. Cool, huh?

Well the other day I get an email from one of the sites about their new books, ya da ya da. I scroll down just scanning. Well lookie there it’s a coupon. Oh I love them there coupons so I click on it. Oh a favorite author of mine, great! Normally the book is 14.00 now only 9.00. Coolness! Scrolling down a bit and WOW a coupon to get the book for FREE! Yes FREE! Hell ya I clicked on it!

Sadly a few hours later I was still trying to download that freakin thing. It was for Adobe not Microsoft like I normally use. I went and downloaded the adobe it needed since mine didn't work to get it to open. I tried again and still nothing. I delete and go back to see if I might have done it wrong, you know user error? Shooosh!

A few hours later and I still have nothing. Okay I am at the point of where the thought of looking stupid is not even relative anymore. I email the site and ask WTH!? Well, in a nice way. You get more flies with honey instead of vinegar.

She emails me back asking if I activated it yet? Huh? Uh, no. Where the hell do I do that? So what do I do? Yup, I delete and try yet again. Third time is the charm, right? Hell no!

By this time I am seriously getting pissed off. I am ready to say screw it and just buy the book at the store. They don't make you download it first. Bless their hearts.

Well in the previous email she had a link. I had already clicked on it and read it. It only verified what I had already tried. I hit the button to go back to the top. This is where they have Q&A. "Since Adobe has 8.1.2 now, should we download it for eBook?" Someone asks. Answer? No, stick with the 6.0 or 7.0. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

So I delete it AGAIN. Download the correct one and wallah! I can activate it now. I follow the instructions and guess what? The book appears out of the mist and onto my screen. I know I know so dramatic. I was in tears people over a eBook.

All I can say is that this book better be good or I will scream. No, I am not bitter. I am just a woman on the edge because they wouldn’t give me my freakin book.

Did I mention that last week my computer crashed and I lost everything? Yup, I lost everything. Luckily for me the website I had used keeps a library for you just for these circumstances. Way cool! Check them out. http://allromanceebooks.com/

0 comments: